Sending email notifications and calendar reminders to your webcast registrants can help communicate important event details and increase engagement before, during, and after the event. Choose timing and customize messaging with tokens in the templates for each email you’d like to activate, including registration confirmation, calendar invite, reminders, thank you for attending, and sorry we missed you emails. This article includes best practices and guidelines for editing and scheduling email notifications for your events.
Things to Know
- The ON24 email notifications cannot be sent on the fly (e.g., there is no 'Send Now' option). All emails will be scheduled for the specific time chosen, and once the emails are sent, they cannot be re-sent.
- Emails will be sent to all those registered for the event at the time the email is sent. Emails cannot be sent to specific individuals.
- If more time is needed to edit the emails, we recommend setting the send date to a few weeks in advance to prevent the emails from being sent while changes are being made. Once the emails are ready, you may adjust the send time to a closer date as long as the scheduled date has not already passed.
- Registrants may receive the ON24 reminder emails at varying times depending on their email administrators queuing on their end (prioritizing resources, etc.) and how many emails are being processed by ON24 at any given time. As a best practice, we recommend keeping the subject lines generic to accommodate for these delays. Instead of saying, "The webinar begins in 15 minutes," consider changing it to "The webinar will begin at the top of the hour."
- The ON24 event emails contain a personalized link that is tied to each registrant's email address and should not be forwarded or shared. As a best practice, we recommend adding a custom message asking registrants not to forward event emails. For example, Please do not forward this email as its webcast link is unique to you.
- If a registrant loses their confirmation email, they can use the general Audience URL and click on Already Registered. The system will validate them based on the email they registered with.
Available Email Notifications
Email notifications are found at the bottom of the webcast Overview page. Once the event has been created, scroll down to add and/or edit the notifications.
The email notifications can be individually turned on or off using the Activate toggle. You can choose a custom date and time for email reminders leading up to the live webcast.
Registration Confirmation - This email will be sent to all registrants immediately after they register. It will include the login information needed to attend the webcast
- For On-Demand Webcasts, this is the only email option available
- Calendar Invite - When toggled on, the Registration Confirmation email will become a calendar invite. See below for more information.
- Reminder #1 - Defaults to be sent to all registrants two days before the webcast reminding them to mark their calendars
- Reminder #2 - Defaults to be sent to all registrants 2 hours before the webcast reminding them that the webcast is coming up soon
- Reminder #3 - Defaults to being inactive with the specified time set to one hour before the event start time
- Reminder #4 - Defaults to being inactive with a custom date and time set in the drop-down
- Thank You for Attending - This email will be sent to all webcast attendees soon after the webcast has been completed and provides the archive link for further viewing of the webcast
- Sorry We Missed You - This email will be sent after the webcast has been completed to all registrants who did not attend the webcast to provide the archive link for further viewing of the webcast
- Calendar Reminder Notification - Use this to update the text in the Calendar token.
- Double Opt-in Email - When this feature is active on your account, the registrant must click through an email sent after the registration process to complete their registration. Please see Webcast Elite | Email Notifications - Double Opt-in Registration for more information.
You can select when to send all notifications except the Registration Confirmation. The emails cannot be sent 'on the fly,' and a send date must be chosen using the drop-down menu in the When To Send column. Once the emails have been sent, the drop-down menu will be greyed out.
- The pre-webinar reminder emails are scheduled based on the start time displayed on the Overview page. For example, if a webinar is scheduled to start at 9 am, and the email reminder is set for 1 hour before the webcast, the email will be scheduled to send at 8 am.
- The post-webinar emails are scheduled based on the event duration. For example, an event that is scheduled to begin at 9 am and with a duration of 1 hour means, the scheduled end time is 10 am. Choosing "1 day after the webcast" means the emails will be sent at 10 am the following day.
- Note: If you change the send time, update the email messaging to reflect the changes. Be sure to proof each email to make sure the text matches when the email will be sent. For example, if the email is set to be sent two days before the webcast, update the text to match the scheduled time.
Editing Email Notifications
Click the Preview/Edit button to review and update the email text.
There are three email template options to choose from. All templates can be edited:
Modern - default HTML template when creating a new event from scratch
- Can be edited and saved.
Legacy - original ON24 text template
- When copying an event created with the Legacy template, the Legacy tab will be selected for the copy
- If the event language is a language other than English, the email notifications popup will display only the Legacy copy
- Custom - default selected after any template is updated and saved
Edit the text using the rich text editor or click on Source to edit via HTML.. Use the formatting tools to update the font, size, and color of the text.
Pro Tip: Highlight all of the default text and click Remove Format to remove the ON24 default formatting.
Add Tokens to personalize the emails for your registrants or images and hyperlinks to brand the content. When making changes, click Save before moving on.
To add an image, place your cursor in the rich text editor where you want the image to display, then click on the image button.
- Click on the Upload tab and use the Choose File button to navigate to the locally stored image
- Click Send it to the Server. The image will show in a preview on the Image Info tab.
- Once uploaded you can resize the width and height of the image from the Image Info tab.
- A URL will also be provided. Copy this URL if you'd like to use the image as the background of the Modern template.
- See below for where to enter the URL.
Click OK to insert the image into the email. Be sure to click Save after adding images or making any changes to emails.
You can change its background color from the editing tools for each email you activate to send.
Click the Background button, and a pop-up modal will allow you to change the RGB settings. Click Choose, and another pop-up modal provides the ability to change the background color using a hexidecimal code.
Use the color palette, or enter your hexadecimal code in the bottom field and click ok to preview the background on the email.
Note: Background colors must be set individually for each activated email.
Updating the From Label
By default, the From Label will be the title of your webcast. You can update this field to customize who the email is from.
Note: Due to anti-spoofing policies, emails will show as coming from ON24. Updating the From Label ensures registrants know the email is in regard to your event.
The From Label can be updated with up to 70 alphanumeric characters (English characters only, ampersand (&) also allowed).
Important: Using some special characters such as a colon or semi-colon (; or :) in the From Label is NOT supported and will prevent the emails from being sent.
Once the From Label is updated and saved for one email notification, all other notifications in the same webcast will automatically be updated. If you wish to update the From Label for ALL webcasts going forward, please submit a Support ticket - adding this account level label will not update any email From Labels that have already been customized.
Click Save after making changes.
Updating the Reply To
Update the Reply To email address if you want registrants to be able to reply back to the notifications.
Note: Due to anti-spoofing policies, emails will show as coming from ON24. Registrants will still see the firstname.lastname@example.org address, but when they click to reply, the To address will be updated to whatever is set in this field.
To ensure the email address is set up correctly, we recommend sending yourself a test email. Click Save before sending the test. Once you receive the test email, click Reply on the email to ensure the reply email is routing to the desired email account.
The Reply To field cannot be left blank - if customizing this field is not needed, leave the default address as email@example.com.
Send Test Email
Once the edits have been made, send yourself a test email, to see it from the registrant's perspective. Make sure to Save any changes you have made before sending the test email.
The email address associated with your Webcast Elite login will be the default address in the To box.
When using the Include Calendar Invite option, your Registration Confirmation email turns into a calendar invite instead of a traditional email. The calendar invite will be preconfigured to notify the recipient 15 minutes before the start of the event.
It will be sent upon registration if you have both settings ON.
Registration Confirmation email and Calendar Invite options:
- Registration Confirmation email ON and Calendar Invite OFF – Registration Confirmation email sent
- Registration Confirmation email ON and Calendar Invite ON – Calendar Invite sent
- Registration Confirmation email OFF and Calendar Invite OFF – Nothing is sent
- Registration Confirmation email OFF and Calendar Invite ON - Nothing is sent
By default, the Calendar Invite option will be OFF, but please submit a technical support ticket or reach out to your CSM if you would like it to default to ON in your account.
Although the Calendar Invite checkbox and the Calendar Reminder Notification are different options, if you use the Calendar Invite option, set up the Calendar Reminder Notification as well. Depending on your registrant's email client, they may see different body text. For more information on editing the Calendar Reminder Notification click here.
- For registrants using Outlook (Windows and Mac desktop apps as well as Outlook.com), the body text you build out in the Registration Confirmation email will show in the Calendar Invite
- For all other email clients (such as Gmail), the body text will use the calendar reminder text, edited in the Calendar Reminder Notification
Depending on your registrant's email client, the functionality of adding the Calendar Invite might also differ.
|For new events
|For existing events, both in the past and in the future
|For existing On-Demand events
Pre and Post Event Registration Confirmation
Different registration confirmation messages can be sent before and after the start of the event.
When configuring registration confirmation messages, configure different versions of the message that will be sent before and after the live event time. This allows messages to be tailored to the audience experience. For example, pre-event messages may indicate the live start date and time, while post-event messages will direct registrants to the on-demand archive.
Smart Text will be available for Pre and Post event messages.
Note: This option is not available for Recurring Simu-live or On-Demand Recordings.
Pre Event Message
If an attendee registers prior to when the webcast dashboard opens (15 minutes prior to start time), they will receive the pre-event email with a calendar hold
Note: If an attendee registers during the 15 minute window prior to the webcast start time or as the webcast is airing, the confirmation email doesn't include the calendar hold.
Post Event Default Message
If the webcast has already ended and an attendee registers after the end time, they will receive the post-event confirmation without a calendar hold.
Note: If an attendee clicks the url to join the event briefly after the event has ended, the event is likely still being archived and will not be available yet for viewing.
Post Event Customized Message