STEP 1 – PROVISION A NEW API ACCESS TOKEN
Click here to view instructions on how to provision a new API access token within ON24
STEP 2 – TIBCO SCRIBE
ON24 leverages TIBCO Scribe as our iPaaS provider to pass data from ON24 to Salesforce. As a result, your technical resource will receive access to your ON24 TIBCO Scribe account.
After receiving the TIBCO Scribe email invitation your technical resource will need to follow the Tibco Scribe Connector Guide which consists of:
- Creating a new Scribe user account and "Logging into Scribe."
- The Scribe user logging in needs to have create, read, and update permissions for the contact and lead objects. The "Marketing User" setting needs to be enabled on the Salesforce user profile, which will grant campaign and campaign member permissions.
- "Adding a Connection." specifically for your Salesforce instance. The connection may be with your sandbox and/or production org, depending on your preference.
STEP 3 – REVIEW API DOCUMENTATION
At the bottom of this article, download the attached "ON24 Salesforce API Data" Excel spreadsheet and start with the “Instructions” worksheet. This document provides the available fields that may be passed from ON24 to Salesforce.
- Please work with your Salesforce admin team to configure any potential custom fields within Salesforce directly.
- Once the API Data document is completed, please send this document back to your Integration Specialist
- Reminder - If our system doesn't see any activity on a specific token it will be disabled after 60 days. The number of days inactive will reset when it sees activity. You can see the Last Activity date and time in the API dashboard. Warning notices will be sent for tokens as they approach 60 days without seeing activity.
STEP 4 - SALESFORCE CONFIGURATION
STEP 4A – CREATE FIELDS IN SALESFORCE SALES CLOUD FOR CAMPAIGN AND CAMPAIGN MEMBER
In Salesforce navigate to your Setup Page.
Search for Object Manager in the Navigation on the left side of the page.
In the Object Manager you will want to add the fields that your company has decided they want the information on in your Campaign Object and Campaign Member Object. They will be located within the Object Manager list.
- Click on the Campaign Object, then click on Fields and Relationships. It will bring up a page that looks similar to this.
STEP 4B - CREATING FIELDS
- Click on New
- Select Data Type – This will need to match what is in the spreadsheet for that specific field. For this example, we will choose “Number” as we will be setting up the Event ID field (This is one of the required fields), then click next.
- Type out the field label name you would like to have. For the Event ID we will use ON24 Event ID. Once you click outside of that box the Field Name will automatically be generated. This field will need to be added back to the ON24 Salesforce API Data Spreadsheet as the ON24 Integrations team will be using this name for the mapping. Then click next.
- Make sure Marketing User is checked in the Field-Level Security for Profile section. Note if the user creating these fields has this in their permission it should default to being checked. Then click next.
- The next page usually will not need to have anything changed but this is based on how your company has their Salesforce set up. If you have more fields to set up click Save & New and repeat the same process from step 4B. If you do not have anymore fields that need to be created click save.
- You will need to repeat these steps as well for the Campaign Member Object (Registrant and Attendee data)
STEP 5 – HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TIPS
State Field Guidelines
ON24’s registration page includes a “state” field for USA and Canadian registrants. The state/province is spelled out (i.e., California, Florida, etc.). If your Salesforce org is setup to support 2 digits (i.e., CA, FL, etc.), then you will need to log into Webcast Elite, go to the event, add a custom field in the registration page, add a drop-down type field, and manually enter the 2 digits per state in the Choice 1, 2, 3, etc. fields. If you would like assistance with this, please contact your Customer Success Manager to explore a Professional Service team consultation engagement.
Country State Field Validation
Please remove the Country State validation in the lead object under validation rules in Salesforce. Unfortunately, Scribe has issues putting the State and Country in the correct order, which is supposed to be Country first and then State next. If you are unable to remove the Country State validation, then setup an integration user in Salesforce if one is not provided to bypass the validation rule. Follow the instructions here.
STEP 6 – SEND ON24 SALESFORCE API DATA SPREADSHEET TO ON24
Once the spreadsheet has been filled out with all the Field Names, this document will need to be sent to the ON24 Integrations team. Note: You will most likely already have a case with this team you will want to reply to them in this case.
After the spreadsheet has been sent the integrations team will map these fields within your Scribe org. This process can take a few days to complete pending any errors they come across, they will communicate to you if you need to make any changes on your end in order to get these errors fixed.
STEP 7 – TESTING THE INTEGRATION
Once the mapping is complete, we will want to test the integration to make sure all the connections are working properly and that the fields match up to what your company is expecting.
In order for the test to be completed, your team will need to create a campaign in Salesforce and during the creation process in make sure to add the event ID the integrations team provides you in your ON24 Event ID field. Note that the commas will be displayed as this is a number field and this is expected behavior and that this Event ID will be one ON24 has created with dummy data specifically used for testing.
Save the campaign then let ON24 know that the Campaign has been created. ON24 from that point will then push the test data over to your Salesforce Campaign. This will then populate the fields you have created and will also create campaign members for that campaign.
Check the data that was pushed over by clicking on the campaign name.
To see the details of the Campaign and Event data you will want to click on the details section.
To see the Campaign Member Details (Registrant and Attendee) you will want to be on the Related Tab and Scroll to the bottom where it says Campaign Members. Then click View All.
This will provide a table of your Campaign Members.
To get further detail for each Registrant or Attendee you will want to click on their name. This will bring up further details for this Lead/Contact as it pertains to this specific Event depending on the fields that were created and mapped. For example on the attendee data if they attended it live or on demand, how long they watched the webinar for (minutes) and if they answered any polls during the webinar.
After you have checked to make sure everything has gone through with the TEST data, ON24 suggests that we test the integration with one of your previous webinars that way you can see how your data will be processed and sent over. Note that if you are a new client this step will not be able to be complete as you won’t have any previous events to select.
- You will need to select a previous ON24 event and provide the integrations team with that event ID. You will also need to make sure a campaign has been created with that event ID in your ON24 Event ID field as noted previously in step 4B.
- Once that has been provided ON24 will change the connections within your Scribe org and then push the data. They will let you know when this has been completed.
- Once completed you will want to check your records.
STEP 8 – SCHEDULING INTEGRATION TO GO LIVE
Once everything is good from the tests we will have one final step in order to make the integration go live and that will be to have it run on a schedule. The options for running your integration can be anywhere from every hour to once a day. This will depend on limits your company may have for API calls and how often you want your data to be updated. Most clients choose to have their integration run every 2 hours. You will need to provide the integrations team with this schedule. After that has been set up your integration will be live.
In order for the integration to keep running smoothly you will need to make sure you create a campaign for each event that you have within ON24 as this is a 1-to-1 relationship. If a campaign is not created the data will not pass over.