Best practice recommendations when creating registration forms with data integration.
The following are Connect best practice recommendations when creating registration forms. By following these recommendations, you will ensure data consistency and accuracy between your end system and ON24’s reports, as well as reduce data sync issues.
- ON24 OR EXTERNAL REGISTRATION – Click here for tips to help you decide if you should use the ON24 or external registration form.
- MATCH FIELD TYPES – When identifying the fields to map, ensure the field type matches between the ON24 and your end system fields. For example, the ON24 marketing_email field, which is reserved for opt-in requests, is a checkbox that returns a Y or N value. Do not map to it if your end system's corresponding field is Boolean type, which returns a true or false value. Rather, change your end system's field type to string. Alternatively, consider testing the ON24 custom dropdown field (std) to determine if this field could be used instead.
- ENFORCE CUSTOM FIELD CONSISTENCY – Ensure the ON24 custom fields (i.e., "std1") are used consistently across events. For example, custom field #1 (std1) cannot be "How did you hear about this event" in ON24 Event ID: 0012345 and "What are your social media handles" in ON24 Event ID: 0015678. Otherwise, the std1 field values will not make sense when evaluating it aggregately and the values can show in different fields within your ON24 reports, CRM/MAP, or end system.
EXTERNAL REGISTRATION CUSTOMERS
- If you are NOT using the ON24 registration form, then toggle the "Login Only Option" field on. This is located within the Elite Registration page -- Settings. When toggled on, registrants will be prompted to enter their email addresses to gain entry into the webcast. Also, the ON24 registration page will become disabled, so participants will not be required to re-register or fill out additional registration fields.
- Ensure the fields in your external registration form and the corresponding Elite registration page match exactly if you want the reporting data to appear in the ON24 Platform. This includes the field display names, the assignment of required fields, and the same number of fields. For example, you cannot have 5 fields in the external registration form, while only 3 in the Elite registration form.
- CREATE A TEMPLATE - Once you configure your ON24 registration form to your liking, we highly recommend you create a template, so you don't have to remember the tips listed above. In Elite, input "TEMPLATE" in the event name. Go to the Overview page and toggle the “Test Event” field on, so you don't get billed for it.
- EXTERNAL REGISTRATION CONSIDERATIONS – If you are using external registration with the "Double Opt-in" feature in ON24, the registrants must click on the confirmation email link (sent to them after registration) in order for them to show up in the ON24’s Registrant report. Click here for more information about the ON24 "Double Opt-in" feature, but please note log in access to the gated Knowledge Center article is required.