Review the Onsite Event Producer or Encoder Tech checklist with timeline and steps to setup encoders for a live Broadcast Video event.
120 Minutes Before Live Show Starts:
- Set up A&B encoder laptops and make sure the internet connection is working. (Venue should always be tested at least 1 week prior to the event day.)
- If you cannot connect the encoder to the network/ or stream over port 1935: Run preliminary network tests and verify ports are open. Alert the local IT contact to assist.
- Crew should provide HD-SDI program feed with embedded audio. Distribute to encoders and verify output stream settings are entered correctly.
- Start “A”&”B” encoders and monitor from the preview URL (“A” stream is seen on the Preview URL)
- Check CDNs to verify streams are reaching both A & B servers (type in &streamtest=y at the end of the preview URL and refresh). See “Stream Test Tool” doc for more info. A and B are referred to as Primary and Backup on the streamtest tool entries
- Work with the on-site crew to conduct a sync / clap test (use closeup of someone on stage)
90 Minutes Before Live Show Starts:
After verifying A/B server feeds:
- View the preview URL and double check A/V quality for:
- Picture quality. Make sure it is bright (not washed out) and that the colors look accurate. Skin tones should look natural.
- Make sure the audio levels are loud without being over modulated. You should be able to hear comfortably with the level control on your preview computer set at the halfway mark.
- Open Presenter UI on separate laptop & Click through presentation to verify slides are flipping (if applicable).
- Confirm with client that the PPT deck you have is the most up to date version
60 Minutes Before Live Show Starts:
- One hour before show time, restart the encoders. They should now stay engaged through the end of the webcast. Please wait at least 30 seconds between stopping and restarting your encoders. This allows servers to process the disconnect before you try to reconnect.
- Check A&B server throughput (stream test tool). If you see RTMP streams, but no MPD streams, restart the encoder - again, be careful to leave it down for 30-60 seconds before restarting.
- Do a final clap test to verify sync. Have presenter speak into their mic. Music is not an accurate measure to determine if the audio is at the right level.
- Have an off-site location confirm streams look good to them, including Mobile. Mobile streams are now active whenever the encoders are active.
15 Minutes Before Live Show Starts:
- Note: The lobby opens 15 minutes before the show starts. Online attendees will see and hear whatever is being sent over the encoders.
- At this time, make sure you send only the show logo/music or lobby video loop
- Make sure the 1st slide appears in the slide window
5 Minutes Before Live Show Starts – Live Webcast:
*Begin Local Backup Recording
- Select “Start live” in Presenter UI
- Push 1st Slide
- Take A/V Camera Feed when program is ready to begin
- Follow along with the slides and push polls, poll results, and survey if applicable
Immediately Following the Live Webcast:
- Hit “Stop Live” in Presenter UI. Verify ON24 archive can be cropped in the ON24 platform.
- Stop local encoders and backup recording. Upload backup encoder files to FTP or Dropbox and send a note to relevant parties alerting them to where the file is located.