Here are the troubleshooting steps for ON24 Forums.
General Troubleshooting Steps
Step 1: Begin by determining whether the problem may be caused by your network environment or the hardware.
You can use the following steps to determine this:
- Make sure you are using the latest version of a WebRTC-capable browser. Check here for a list of known major supported browsers.
- Make sure you have the right ports open. You can check this by running a pre-call test. This test should identify where there are any network issues connecting to the servers. If something is blocked, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Confirm Your Are Connected to the Internet
- Are you connected to the Internet?
- Web browser security settings (especially for Internet Explorer) may be too restrictive or block certain content.
- There may be a security restriction enforced on your network. Check out our guide on restrictive networks here.
Step 3: Confirm the Browser can Access the Camera/Microphone
If the earlier pre-call test didn't show any issues with the network, but you weren't able to see the camera/microphone functioning correctly:
Please confirm that you are allowing access to your camera and microphone when prompted by the browser. You may have blocked access and saved this preference. Please check your browser settings to confirm this is not the case.
- Check if the camera works on a different browser. For instance, if you are using Firefox see if Chrome works instead.
- If you have multiple cameras, make sure that the right camera is selected.
- Does the camera work in the WebRTC demo?
- Does the camera work in another application, such as Microsoft Teams or Photo Booth?
- Still no luck? Contact Support - we'd love to help.
IMPORTANT: Known Issue regarding recordings of Forums Event that run over 4 hours
The technical time limit of a Forums Event is up to 4 hours. If a Forums event runs over, there is an issue regarding the recording. After 4 hours, a new recording session is started and overwrites the previous recording. The current recommendation is to end the Forum before the 4-hour mark.
If you know your event will run longer than 4 hours and you need the recordings, then prior to the 4 hour limit you should end the Forum and continue on a second Forum.
IMPORTANT: Applying a Console Template to Your Forum
In Console Builder, if you apply a console template to your Forum, it will inadvertently overwrite the Forum configuration settings that are set on the Overview page (see screenshots below for reference) with values associated with the template. Applying a template should NOT do that. A fix is being worked on.
Until this issue is resolved if you plan to apply a console template, please do the following:
1) Go to the Overview page and write down the various Forum configuration settings that you currently have, including the Advanced Settings (see images below).
2) Go to the Console Builder and apply desired template.
3) Go back to the Overview page and set the Forum configuration settings that you wrote down in step 1.
Known Screen Share Issue with iOS/Mac and Google Chrome Browser
Presenters running Chrome Version 99.0.4844.74 on iOS/Mac (Big Sur 11.6 and other versions) may experience an inability to screen share in Forums (and during Live Video and Audio with screen share (Video Presenter Bridge) webinars).
To resolve this issue:
- Open System Preferences (users may hit CMD + Space and type “pref”)
- Open Security & Privacy
- On the left, scroll down to Screen Recording and click it.
- Users may need to click the lock on the bottom left to make changes and enter their credentials.
- Uncheck Chrome on the right.
- On the popup, click Quit & Reopen
- Re-check the Chrome box again.
- Click Quit & Reopen
Random Loss of Audio
If you've had issues where you randomly lost audio or microphone input in the middle of a forum/breakout, it may be because Teams (or another program) is taking exclusive access to your headphones/speaker/mic. Compared to running a live webcast (where presenters often close other apps before presenting live) Forums has two unique differences that could make this issue more likely:
1. Asking attendees to join on video with minimal to no training and on the assumption it works like Teams.
2. Joining “in the moment” without time to troubleshoot if needed.
In the search bar type "Sound Settings" and open, then scroll down and click on "Sound Control Panel" on the right hand side under Related Settings.
Complete the following steps in BOTH the "Playback "Recording" Tabs of the control panel for all the sound devices.
1. Choose device, and open it's "Properties"
2. Within the device properties choose the "Advanced" Tab
3. Untick "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
4. Click "Apply" and "Ok" to close the window
5. Repeat with next device